1. Nếu chủ ngữ là một danh từ hoặc đại từ số ít thì chia động từ theo hình thức số ít.
S(singular) + V(singular)
- My cat is lying on the grass.
- He is a teacher.
- Thanos wants to rule the world.
- England is a country that is part of the United Kingdom.
- Infinity War achieves the seemingly impossible feat of melding together a huge cast of characters.
S(plural) + V(plural)
- They often work very hard.
- We are teachers.
- The animals gather closely together for warmth.
- Teachers work with students to find out specific need.
- Asian countries cooperate with each other.
V-ING + V(singular)
- Playing football is not easy with me.
- Jogging everyday is good for your health.
- Computing saves a lot of time.
- Studying online is very convenient.
- Using online practices helps students who don’t have books.
- Working from home allows a person to work in comfort.
S1 OR/NOR S2 + V(s2)
- It is you or I who am to go.
- Neither John nor his friends have seen this movie before.
- Our happiness or our sorrow is largely due to our actions.
- My parents or my brother is staying at home now.
- You or I am the winner.
EITHER S1 OR S2 + V(s2)
- Either my parents or I am going to the supermarket to buy food for lunch.
- Either he or I have to leave.
- Either I or he has to leave.
- Neither John nor his friends have seen this movie before.
- Neither I nor you are right
EITHER/NEITHER OF + N + V(singular)
- Neither of them is available to speak now.
- Either of us is capable of doing the job.
- Neither of them works in this company.
- Either of my parents is staying at home now.
- Either of students has left the door unlocked
THE NUMBER OF + N + V(singular)
- The number of addicted people has increased recently.
- The number of bears decreases day by day.
- The number of days in a week is 7.
- The number of people, who have lost their job, is quite big.
- The number of accidents has gone down steadily since the speed limit was imposed.
A NUMBER OF + N + V (plural)
- A number of good students in my class have decreased this year.
- A number of hours have passed
- A number of people have lost their job.
- A number of books in this library are really big.
- A number of special conditions is necessary for the formation of a geyser.
S1 AS LONG AS/WITH S2 + V(s1)
- The old man with his dog passes my house every morning.
- Mr. Johnson as well as his assistants has arrived.
- Mr Robbins, accompanied by his wife and children, is leaving tonight.
- My father as well as the other people in my family is very friendly.
- Kim, as well as her parents is coming to the party.
S1 AND S2 + V(plural)
- Fire and water do not agree.
- Honor and glory are the rewards.
- John and I are going to college next autumn.
- Bread and butter is my favorite food.
- Lan and Tam are classmates in this school year.
- My father and my mother have lived happily together since they got married.
Lưu ý: Các trường hợp sau thì bắt buộc phải dùng số ít:
– Khi chúng cùng chỉ một người, 1 vật, 1 món ăn hay 1 khái niệm:
Bread and meat is my favorite dish.
President and CEO is Mr Smith
– Phép cộng thì dùng số ít:
Ví dụ: Two and three is five.
EACH/EVERY + N + V(singular)
EVERYONE/SOMETHING + V(singular)
- Each boy and each girl has their own story.
- Everyone in my class is very intelligent.
- Each of the boys has a bicycle.
- Someone has taken my pencil.
- Each person is allowed 20kg luggage.
- Everybody knows Tom.
MANY + N(plular) + V(plular)
- Many students like playing games nowadays.
- Many animals face starvation and frostbite during the snowy season.
- Many vehicles are equipped with an air bag.
- Many countries around the world celebrate earth day
- Many movies now make more money from sales of DVDS than from the box office.
MANY + A + N(singular) + V(singular)
- Many a leader fallen due to pride.
- Many a student doesn’t want to study all day at school.
- Many a little makes a miracle.
- Many a letter has crossed.
- Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage, and, for turning away, let summer bear it out.
THE + ADJECTIVE + V(plural)
- The deaf are the people who are not able to hear.
- Despite not having much money, The poor are still happy.
- The rich are not always happy.
- The poor get poorer, the rich get richer.
- The French like to eat well.
Đặc biệt, Khi đứng sau THE là danh từ people, police, army, children, cattle (gia súc) thì cũng dùng động từ ở số nhiều.
Ví dụ: The police have patrolled through the night to catch that murder.
– Môn học: physics (vật lý ), mathematics (toán), economics (kinh tế học), politics (chính trị học) …
– Môn thể thao: athletics (môn điền kinh), billiards (bi-da), checkers(cờ đam)
– Tên các căn bệnh: Measles (sởi), rickets (còi xương)….
– Các danh từ khác: news (tin tức), the United States,…..
- Physics is more difficult than chemistry.
- Gymnastics is my favorite sport.
- Maths is considered as a difficult subject with many students.
- The United States has new president.
MONEY/TIME/DISTANCE/WEIGHT + V(singular)
- Five dollars to buy this shirt is very cheap.
- 8 hours of sleeping is enough.
- Money makes the world go around.
- Time flies when you’re having fun
- Five kilometers is not far.
- Three years are not a long time.
% + OF + S(singular + uncountable) + V(singular)
% + OF + S(plural + countable) + V(plural)
- Two third of students in my class are girls.
- Two third of water in this bottle is drunk by Peter.
- Fifty percent of the pie has disappeared.
- One-third of the city is unemployed.
- One-third of the people are unemployed.
MAJORITY OF/SOME OF/ALL OF + S(singular + uncountable) + V (singular)
MAJORITY OF/SOME OF/ALL OF + S(plural + countable) + V (plural)
- Some of my friends are very good at English.
- Some of the information he told us was not reliable.
- Some of the students are late for class.
- Most of the water is polluted.
- All of the books are interesting.
NO/NONE OF + S(singular+uncountable) + V(singular)
- None of meat was cooked in this special day.
- No further information is provided for you unless you are a VIP.
- No student leaves the room.
- No example is relevant to this case.
- None of the counterfeit money has been found.
NO/NONE OF S(plural+countable) + V(plural)
- No people are allowed to swim in this lake
- No people think alike.
- None of the books are interesting
- None of my friends know it
- None of us speak French
- The shoes are on the shelf.
- My pants are ripped.
Lưu ý: Khi có từ : “A pair of “ đi trước các danh từ này thì chia động từ ở số ít.
A pair of shoes + Verb (singular)
A pair of trousers + Verb (singular)
A pair of glasses + Verb (singular)
Ví dụ: A pair of shoes is on the shelf.
- The effects of stress are very sirious.
- The list of items is on the desk.
- The experiences of work during study is common for around half of all students.
- The advertising of credence goods contains both informational and persuasive advertising.
- The advantage of living in the city is the range of clothes shops.
- Better Days is a 2019 Chinese romantic crime coming of age film directed by Derek Tsang and starring Zhou Dongyu and Jackson Yee.
- Gone with the Wind is a sweeping romantic story about the American Civil War from the point of view of the Confederacy.
- “Heal the World” is a song recorded by American recording artist Michael Jackson.
- Tom and Jerry” is my favorite cartoon.
– Hành động của từng thành viên thì chia động từ ở số nhiều.
- The family are having breakfast.
- The crowd are becoming excited.
- The staff were upset not to have been informed.
– Tính chất của tập thể đó như một đơn vị thì chia động từ ở số ít.
- My family is very conservative.
- The congress has laws to protect wildlife from commercial trade and overhunting.
- His team gets the best assignments case study.
- It is her dog that often bites people.
- It is the face of pregnancy that starts from the week 13 to 27.
- It’s disgusting that he turns his radio too loud.